Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Oh! I Have Slipped the Surly Bonds of Earth"

40"x30" oil on gallery wrap canvas - $600 plus shipping - This is another entry for the sky painting exhibit at the Chattanooga Unitarian Universalist Church. Waiting until the last possible day, I decided to use the fastest drying oil paints in my tool box. I chose raw sienna (for the yellow), burnt sienna (for the red), Prussian blue, mauve (blue shade), and flake white. Hopefully they will be touch dry within two days.

The exhibit rules stated that no more than 5" of the canvas could be land...the rest being sky. I used my imagination in designing the landscape and another of my previous paintings to determine the sky colors.

The title comes from a poem written by John Gillespie Magee, Jr (June 9, 1922 - December 11, 1941).
Posted by Picasa

No comments: